💡 Research Paper Examples on Determinism
- Free Will and Determinism: Compatibilism Theory
The paper proves that compatibilism best explains the true nature of freedom and responsibility by discussing libertarianism, hard determinism, and compatibilism.
- Free Will: Determinism, Libertarianism, Compatibilism
This paper discusses different philosophies – determinism, libertarianism, compatibilism, as well as whether humans have free will, and what it is.
- Against Free Will: Determinism and Prediction
This paper will argue that the existence of determinism and the prediction argument suggests that people, in fact, do not have free will.
- What Does Heilbroner Mean in Advocating a ‘Soft’ Form of Technological Determinism?
Heilbroner held that technology affects how societal evolution takes place. However, the society still has a chance to adjust the effects of technology in the evolutionary history.
- Freedom and Determinism
While freedom encourages people to perform activities in a democratic manner, determinism brings to fore the fact that actions lead to predictable results.
- Free Will and Determinism: Can They Coexist?
This essay aims to define free will and determinism, provide supporting and opposing arguments, and elaborate as to whether compatibilism is possible.
- Nielsen’s Free Will and Determinism: An Analysis and Critique
According to Nielsen, the case of moral luck takes place once the outcomes predetermined by luck create a moral dilemma.
- How Free Am I: Co-existence of Determinism and Moral Responsibility
The purpose of this paper is to show that determinism and moral responsibility co-exist and that human decisions or actions cannot contradict the pre-existing laws of nature.
- “Technological Determinism Revisited” by R. Heilbronet
The essay “Technological Determinism Revisited” by Robert L. Heilbronet describes technological changes and cultural transformations in a historical context.
- Free Will and Determinism Analysis
This paper discusses how plausible is it to maintain that people act of their own free will given what science tells us about the human mind and brain.
- Technological Determinism
This paper will discuss the alterations that society has gone through due to technology. Technological determinism indicates that culture is shaped by the level of technology available.
- Ontology, Free Will, Fate and Determinism
The discussion brings in the ultimate debate of four significant concepts in philosophy. The concepts include determinism, ontology, free will and fate.
- Free Will and Determinism According to William James and Jean-Paul Sartre
The advocates of free will argue that a universe in which rational agents do not actually make their own rational choices as suggested by determinism has no morality.
- Free Will and Determinism: Discussion
Popkin and Stroll agree that a decision's being causally determined by factors beyond the agent's control would preclude moral responsibility.
- Free Will from d'Hobach's Determinist Perspective
Baron d’Holbach’s quote “Man’s life is a line that nature commands him to describe upon the surface of the earth…” is a great example of a determinist philosophy concept.
- Determinism and Principle of Alternate Possibilities
Determinism can be conceived as a theory that purports that human beings are determined to act in a certain manner and they have no freedom to exercise free will of choice.
- The Controversy between Free Will and Determinism
Free will, the ability to act and think unimpeded by natural or social factors, contradicts determinism, the idea that everything has a cause.
- Determinism and Free Will by Derk Pereboom
Determinism is a well-established school of thought, arguing that all actions performed are entirely determined (hence the name) by psychological, biological, or other causes.
- Hard Determinism Theory: Responsibility for Our Behavior and Actions
Hard determinism holds that we are not responsible for our actions since they are caused by natural and behavioral force beyond our control.
- Determinism and Freedom in the movie 'Donnie Darko'
The essay provides information about the theory of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics as the logical worldview, analyzing the movie 'Donnie Darko'
- Are Free Will and Determinism Compatible?
Philosophical metaphysics teaches that all human decisions have underlying causality and motivation, and the freedom to express personal free will is the basis for most of them.
- Concepts of Determinism, Compatibilism, and Libertarianism
Need to highlight the libertarian and defend concepts, which is the gist of this paper. This paper explores the determinism and compatibilism, and their strengths and weaknesses.
- Philosophical Approach to Freedom and Determinism
Philosophically, determinism refers to belief that any event is an essential outcome of earlier origins. It reflects on what individual wanted to do at that particular moment.
- Determinism Argument and Objection to It
Determinism claims that all current and future conditions of the entire universe are “physically necessitated by the states of the universe in the distant past.”
- Sarmiento’s Discussion of Environmental Determinism
Sarmiento's discussion reflects environmental determinism because an individual living in a city has a different environment than in the countryside.
👍 Good Determinism Essay Samples for College
- Free Will in Hard Determinism, Soft Determinism and Libertarianism
Comparison of hard determinism, soft determinism and libertarianism as the closest movements to explaining free will.
- Avoiding Technological Determinism: Aspects and Challenges
Technological determinism is a simplistic view on technology that regards the latter as a vehicle for change, which is typically considered to be unidirectional and unavoidable.
- Determinism and Free Will Controversy
In philosophy, for a long time, there has been a dispute about the existence of free will, its limits, and nature.
- COVID-19 and the Forms of Determinism: Analysis
Approaching the problem of COVID-19 from a philosophical standpoint, one will recognize several determinist stances that can be applied to the problem at hand.
- Juxtaposing McLuhan’s Technological Determinism and Social Forces
According to Marshall McLuhan, technological determinism is the view that media technologies determine processes of social change.
- The Role of Free Will and Determinism
The presence of free will is important for marking a person as guilty and subsequent punishment. Free will means the obligation to personalize actions.
- The Manifestation of Technological Determinism
People know little about the way technology develops as it is impossible to predict which innovations and technological advances will be used and which will perish.
- Technological Determinism and Society
Modern humanitarian knowledge calls the current period the era of the second industrial revolution. It has become obvious to many researchers today.
- Analysis and Comparison of Determinism, Compatibilism and Libertarianism, Free Will
The concepts of determinism, compatibilism and libertarianism have emerged as a possible explanation to human attitudes and behaviors.
- Free Will vs. Determinism as Philosophical Concepts
The examination of the freedom and responsibility spectrum that highlights the difference between choice and causation explains whether human actions are free or predetermined.
- Determinism, Compatibilism and Libertarianism Philosophy Comparison
This paper will try to define determinism, compatibilism, and libertarianism. Furthermore, the paper will compare and contrast the mentioned philosophical positions.
- Determinism, Free Will, and Consequences
Determinists do not believe that willpower can be exercised by humans, even if the illusion of that exists in their consciousness.
- Technological Determinism Perspective Discussion
This paper will discuss the primary differences between technological determinists and social constructivists paradigms as they are applied to the media.
- Determinism, Libertarianism, and Compatibilism
This paper includes a discussion of the three philosophical perspectives: Determinism, Libertarianism, and Compatibilism, above and how they can be applied to the Ethan Couch case.
- The Relations Between Environmental and Cultural Determinism
This paper identifies environmental and cultural determinism, which, despite some contradictions, in certain interpretations can be closely related.
- Moral Responsibility and Hard Determinism
Specific reasons dictate human behavior; otherwise, it would be erratic and unpunished. Hard determinism defines a cause for every action.
- Determinist Theories of Organisational Decisions
Three key theories exist in the determinist school of thought, and they include population ecology, institutional theory, as well as resource dependency theory.
- The Theories of Technological Determinism
This paper aims to present and evaluate the theories of Raymond Williams and Ithiel de Sola Pool with respect to technological determinism.
- Free Will: Determinism and Libertarianism
This paper aims to discuss the main views on free will, which are hard determinism, soft determinism, and libertarianism, and what these ideas include.
- Linguistic Determinism and Linguistic Relativity
The concepts of linguistic determinism, as well as the hypothesis of linguistic relativity, have long been a question of controversy.
- Determinism in Philosophy: Hard Determinism, Soft Determinism, Libertarianism
The question of determinism/indeterminism as the explanations of people’s actions and their consequences is one of the most important issues in philosophy.