Natural disasters can strike with little or no warning. When a disaster such as a deluge strikes, Noah’s ark may really come in handy. A natural calamity leaves in its wake not only the loss of property but also more importantly the lives of people caused by death. It is essential to be able to know how to handle situations that call for action that may save time, especially in cases when disasters occur. In instances when a warning has been issued to people who reside in the area, many lives have been saved. Likewise, in areas where the people are well prepared to handle disasters, lives have been saved, thus proving that it is extremely pertinent to cater to the needs of people, especially those residing in disaster-prone regions. There are other categories of individuals who may require specialized attention in terms of the disaster action awareness programs, such as the disabled. The blind and the lame ought to be taken into consideration when it comes to sensitizing the people who live together with them about the importance of disaster preparedness. They ought to be able to take care of their members who are disabled when a disaster occurs. They can do this properly through awareness programs. The group also encompasses the mentally disabled who may require special attention in case of a catastrophe. This group poses a significant threat to themselves. This is due to the nature of their conditions, which may only serve to hamper their decision-making faculties. This should not be an impediment to the programs. This paper aims to show that preparing your family and home in advance is critical to your family to have the ability to cope with the trauma and survive. It also proposes that the essence of thorough disaster preparations is prudent to have in the event that the family has to evacuate.In only 3 hours we’ll deliver a custom Disaster Planning for Families essay written 100% from scratch Get help
Disaster preparedness and the importance of management of disasters
- The importance of protecting loved ones from such natural disasters since the majority of them occur frequently and without any warning.
- The example of a recent natural disaster covering Hurricane Sandy in the United States of America led to the loss of people’s lives and property.
- Steps that people can make use of in order to protect their loved ones from natural disasters. Before any disaster strikes, it is important for a family to develop a sustainable disaster plan for most of the common kinds of disasters, which have a high likelihood of affecting them (Stonecipher, 2010). Having a proper disaster management plan at hand will play a crucial role in determining the mortality rate of family members. Highlights of steps that families can take to ensure their survival are also mentioned in the chapters.
- The importance of training people on how to deal with most of the aspects that they face in case of natural disasters.
Preparedness and planning in the event of a natural calamity take place
- The definition of disaster preparedness, and the importance of planning as a measure of the ability of an individual to respond effectively in case of an emergency. This can be effectively communicated through elucidating on the essence of thorough disaster management preparations (Kumar, 2011). Programs that prepare people to handle disasters must be implemented properly.
- The suddenness and inevitability of natural disasters, and how we do not have a way of preventing ourselves against them, thus the need for a natural disaster plan to be made available for families.
- The important aspects of families and their need to be ready for natural calamities or disasters taking place.
The importance of training and preparedness in the event of a natural disaster or calamity
- The lack of training in terms of how to deal with disasters among many families and their family members.
- The essences of developing a training program, which can be adopted by families that will ensure all family members, are prepared to tackle disasters.
- Part of the skills required during natural catastrophes or natural disasters.
- Awareness of individual roles and responsibilities in emergency cases
- Awareness of policies and procedures that govern emergency/disaster situations.
- The ability to raise the alarm to warn people in affected areas in case of an emergency.
- The importance of these basic skills, as well as how they will help save a lot of lives. Even though county representatives, as well as aid personnel, will be at the scene due to the calamity, they cannot be in a situation to access each person straight away (Bradley, A., & Bradley, C. 2011). Individual assistance is crucial in disaster management.
The importance of communication before, during, and after a disaster occurs
- The importance of communication and how it plays a vital role in ensuring that small disasters are mitigated to save lives.
- Protecting communication equipment that may be destroyed in case a disaster takes place
- The adoption of modern technology and techniques such as versatile communication methods could be used to enhance disaster preparedness.
- The importance of families having effective communication tools that will be used to pass on crucial information. In Italy, out of 80 calamities, 26,050 people lost their lives and almost 23% could have been saved if they had communication equipment available (Kumar 2011). Communication plays a key role in enabling to decrease deaths during catastrophes.
Dealing with the disabled and people with other forms of disability when an unexpected disaster takes place
- The disabled in society and the major problems that they may face when it comes to dealing with disasters.
- The rising numbers of disabled members among families.
- The role of the family is to ensure that they cater to the disabled in their disaster preparedness plans.
- The significance of the realization is that aspects of protection are on an individual basis, and this needs to be cultivated within each family member (Oliver, 2010). Everyone needs to know the importance of assisting the disabled.
- Effects of these actions such as the reduction in the death toll as a result of disasters.
This paper has outlined the topics based on the importance of preparing your family and home in advance, and how it is critical to your family to have the ability to cope with the trauma and survive. It has also proposed that the essence of thorough disaster preparations is prudent to have in the event that the family has to evacuate. Disaster management and preparedness is one of the most salient aspects that ought to be taken into consideration in terms of saving lives. It is always crucial to be able to make people understand the importance of disaster preparedness. The fact that the number of deaths is rapidly increasing only depicts a picture of the lack of preparedness among people. This is despite a backdrop of the knowledge that disasters can occur at any time. The lack of interest and knowledge is one of the most expensive cases of ignorance since it involves mainly the loss of lives, which would have been saved. Specialized training programs have been put in place for them so that they may be offered help in a safe manner.
Bradley, A., & Bradley, C. (2011). The disaster preparedness handbook: A guide for families. New York, NY: Skyhorse Publishing Inc.
Kumar, R. (2011). Research methodology. New York, NY: APH Publishing.
Oliver, C. (2010). Catastrophic disaster planning and response. New York: CRC Press.
Stonecipher, J., (2010). Abandonment: Brainstorming the possible what ifs of disaster planning with disabled people. New York: Publish America.